MACUGEN® (pegaptanib sodium injection) is approved to treat wet age-related macular degeneration, a condition that could affect your vision due to leaking blood vessels in your eye.
Important Safety Information
- You should not receive MACUGEN® (pegaptanib sodium injection) if you have an infection in or around your eye or if you are allergic to pegaptanib sodium or any of the other ingredients. Contact your doctor immediately if you have unusual swelling, rash, or difficulty breathing after having a MACUGEN® injection.
- In the days following MACUGEN® administration, you may be at risk for the development of endophthalmitis (inflammation of the inner coats of the eye due to an infection). If the eye becomes red, sensitive to light, painful, or develops a change in vision, contact your doctor immediately so you can be treated early if an infection occurs.
- MACUGEN® can increase eye pressure within 30 minutes after it is injected into your eye. Your doctor may do some extra tests after your injection to make sure there are no complications or problems.
- Serious side effects related to the injection procedure have been seen in patients receiving eye injections such as MACUGEN®. These include endophthalmitis, a separation in the retina referred to as retinal detachment, and cataract. Less than 1% of injections have caused a serious side effect.
- The following side effects were reported by 10-40% of patients treated with MACUGEN® for up to two years in clinical studies: eye swelling, blurred vision, cataract, increased redness in the white of the eye, discharge from the eye, eye irritation, eye pain, high blood pressure, increased eye pressure, eye discomfort, visual disturbances, burning sensation, redness, light sensitivity, and vision loss.
You are encouraged to report side effects to the FDA. To report SUSPECTED ADVERSE REACTIONS, contact Bausch + Lomb, a division of Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America LLC, at 1‑800‑321‑4576 or FDA at 1‑800‑FDA‑1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Please click here for full Prescribing Information for MACUGEN®.